Friday, August 1, 2008

Day 120 - Thursday, July 24, 2008 - Pioneer Day





Pioneer Day!!!

Many people may not know this, but on July 24th, the Pioneers entered the Salt Lake Vally and began to establish Utah. What's even more exciting about this day, is that I have it as a paid holiday, and am able to travel to Arizona, but not have to spend holiday prices. My cousin, Holly and I visited Arizona over this holiday weekend. It was her first time really visiting Arizona.
Holly and I - so excited as we are about to leave for the airport to embark on our exciting vacation!

Holly rented a car for the very first time so that she could travel for work related purposed on Thursday. When we came into Arizona (late Wednesday night) we continued what appears to have become my tradition to go to Walmart at midnight. Then was able to talk to my mom for several hours after.
Holly and her 1st rented car. We laughed when we saw it as it was the exact same kind of car that she drives at home. Only this was a newer model... thank goodness:)

With only a few hours of sleep, I helped my dad work on another tradition of cleaning out the garage on a holiday :) But this was actually the main purpose of coming this weekend. It was a lot of work, but a lot of fun. I enjoyed spending the time with my dad, and going through old memories with him. I found a plaque that my mom had in college. It said "Romans 16:16" than on the back of the plaque it had written on it "for more info see Linda in apt 306" (or something like that). I think my mom is holding back on some stories about her youth from me. During this day, I learned how to put together shelves and was able to assist in coming up with an organization system for the garage. I also was able to use a power washer for the first time (those are really cool!). And also see what happens when the hose to the power washer unexpectedly comes off right next to your dad. I'm still laughing about how funny it was trying to catch the hose as it was shooting water all over us. It felt good though with that heat we were enduring.
My dad and I at the end of the weekend, with the majority of the clean garage. The shelves in the background that are standing up strong and sturdy, are the ones I helped my dad put together :0) They look so great!!!

No comments: