This week, I assisted with a Memorial service at work for a dear patient who passed away unexpectedly over the holidays. It's been hard to not see them around the past couple of weeks, especially as they were involved in a lot of my groups during the past two years that I have been working at the hospital.
During the service, the song "For Good" from the Broadway musical 'Wicked' was played as a way to describe how we have felt about them. They had taught everyone they met how to live, especially when going through trials. This patient was always willing to be a friend to everyone, forgave easily and tried to make the best out of their present circumstance. I am so grateful to have known them, and to have able to have their life example teach me and make a better person. (side note: I have a new admiration for Donny Osmond, and am now listening to his music more because of it. He helped in making this person have a great Christmas this year.)
Since the memorial service I have been thinking about the song, and also how everyone I have come in contact with in my life, have taught me in many ways, either good or bad. But their influence has helped me become the person I am today. It's amazing the power we have with one another. I know that there have been some days when I may be struggling and just having someone I don't know at the store smile at me and say "hello" has helped me to move on, and realize that life is not as bad as I once thought. I created an "animated" slide show to say thank you. I am sorry that I was only able to include just a handful of people who have been a part of my life. But I want to say thank you to all who have helped me become the person I am today.
9 comments:
Kathryn- you made me cry! (not very hard to do, but still...) Thank You for your influence in my life and the life of my family as well. Some of those pictures brought back memories I had not thought of for years.
That was a really cool song I've never heard before. I also had a nice walk down "memory-lane". Thanks for putting it together.
I, too, have never heard that song, but what powerful words it has! I love the pictures! My goodness, you certainly have many pictures from the past, fun memories.
That song is awesome! Wow! That must have been a hard memorial service to attend hearing that song! It brought tears... until I saw Don...
I love this song! It was fun going through the pictures and remembering all the fun memories.
The memorial service was hard to experience, but then it wasn't. I will miss them, but in a sense I am grateful that they are now through with their trials here and won't have to be in so much pain all the time. It was a bittersweet moment, but right now I think it's more sweet. I am grateful to know and understand the purpose of life.
Well, I'm speechless ... mainly 'cause I don't have anything CONSTRUCTIVE to say. If it would help, I have some pictures that are brighter ... less marred. Y'know this is just the sort of irresponsible journalism that we need to watch out for. I feel so misrepresented ... uh ... on second thought, I feel OVERREPRESENTED. I must say one of those pictures brought back memories I had not thought of either ... ON PURPOSE!!! Truthfully, though, thanks for the sentiment, Kathryn. It was a pleasure to help you out in whatever capacity I could whenever I could.
Love always,
Don
Don - Are you referring to the picture of you helping our family out by fixing our car? I just want to let you know that I included that picture because you have shown me the importance of sharing our talents with others. Especially those in need. You always seem to be willing to help us fix our cars at a time when they were continually breaking down. I always appreciated that, and am grateful for that sacrifice you made for our family.
Yes, Kathryn, that was the picture I had in mind... You do know that my post was tongue-in-cheek right? That is actually a sweet memory for me as well. I felt useful and appreciated. I'm just glad we all have better cars now. Hee hee ;-)
Don, I know that this was your way of thanking me for posting that flattering picture of you on the internet. I just wanted to let those who don't know you, be aware of why I posted it. I am grateful to hear that you have sweet memories as well of coming over frequently to fix our cars. Those were some interesting, but still fun times long ago.
Post a Comment