Friday, December 14, 2007

It's Me!

If you've been following my siblings blogs, you may have noticed that everyone has been tagged to divulge information about themselves that no one else may know. It was interesting for me to read, as I would think "I do that too!" with several of them. But here is some things that you may or may not have already known about me:

1. I REALLY like blankets. I tend to walk down the blanket aisles at stores and just dream about what it would be like to own those blankets. If anyone ever needs to give me a gift and does not know what to get me, I am always happy with a blanket.

2. My body likes to compose in the key of D major. It's odd. I do this with any instrument. I noticed it during college. I would receive an assignment to write a song in a certain key, and I would somehow transpose it to the key of D. Also when I improvise it is generally in the key of D, and in the Dorian mode.

3. I like to read books about (how could I describe this...) depressing subjects. I have this fascination with psychology and how the body and mind works. Lately I have really been drawn towards reading books regarding what I deal with at work. It has really helped me become better in my career as I work with those who have mental illnesses. The last book I read was "Cutting:Understanding and Overcoming Self - Mutilation, " by Steven Levenkron. Right now I am reading the book "The Boy Who Was Raised As A Dog: and other Stories From a Child Psychiatrist's Notebook: What Traumatized Children Can Teach Us About Loss, Love, and Healing," by Bruce D. Perry. Luckily I have an amazing sister and brother (aka: her wonderful husband) who are recommending and providing me with FICTION books that help me become somewhat more balanced. (THANKS!)

4. I tend to question "traditions" a lot. I have a hard time understanding the concept of doing something just because everyone else is doing it. Especially when they don't know why either. I think this may have begun when I had to go on such a strict medical diet and had a hard time participating in all the festivities that are catered around food.

5. I LOVE to watch previews to movies.

6. I am really trying to get into running. It's a big desire I have had. In the past I thought I had to give this desire up permanently as I would tend to have Crohn's attacks after I ran. But I have been learning how to teach my body to slowly accept it. Some days it works, some days it doesn't. But I tend to maintain or improve the amount of time I can run. My sister Jen , and I have a goal to run a 5k this upcoming year. Stay tuned for that fascinating post.

8 comments:

Jen said...

Just last night I was telling Don how I enjoyed watching previews...

Lindsay said...

Hope you enjoy Harry Potter! If it's too much of a switch for you going from Psychology to fiction, just treat Harry Potter as a "traumatized child" if you like. :0)

Also, you know about Apple Trailers right? I love going there and watching previews for upcoming movies. It's what we do since we don't watch TV.

Anonymous said...

You know what? When I went to BYU and had to compose songs for my music classes, I always composed in the key of D, too! Is that a coincidence or what?

Sarah said...

I think Kathryn was trying to tell us what she wanted for Christmas...

I like previews too, but they are getting too bad in some of the movies for me.

I LOVED blankets in Utah. We had all of them on our bed in the winter. John wondered what we were going to do with them all when we got them for our wedding.

Kathryn said...

I was not telling you the only thing I want for Christmas. I decided to only name only one of my obsessions at this moment. I think it would be best if you would all slowly get to know my other obsessions later on. That way I have other things to talk about in my other posts:) But yes, ever since moving to Utah, my obsession has deepened.

I like the idea Lindsay of imagining Harry Potter as a traumatized child. That may put the book in a whole new perspective.

I believe previews are great because they tend to put the best parts of the movie in the previews.

That's awesome mom that you write in the key of D as well. I totally believe that there is something with it. I had a professor at school who is a famous composer as well. He would tell us how he would wake up some days and his mind would say "Good morning, today is going to be the key of E day." He would tell us how he could only write and basically play in that key all day. This would be an interesting thing to study.

Sarah said...

I was kidding about the list. I just thought it would have made for an interesting Christmas. Considering I got you a blanket last year for Christmas...

Kathryn said...

I knew you were kidding. I just wanted to clarify to everyone else as well. I was just envisioning receiving 20 blankets on Christmas. That would actually be fun, but I don't know where I would put them all. I guess I could live the "Princess and the Pea" life :)

Jess said...

I love previews, too. If I'm going to be late to a movie I get really disappointed because I hate missing the previews - they're just as much fun to watch as the movie itself.
Hope your surgery goes well tonight - you're in our prayers!
-J