Sunday, June 15, 2008

My Really, really REALLY cool DAd!!!

It's Father's Day and I wanted to let everyone (who doesn't already know this yet) what an amazing dad I have. He can fix anything, build anything, cook anything, clean everything, a story teller, singer/ song writer, listener, counselor, is exceptionally talented, teacher, doctor, inventor, cheerleader and someone I consider to be one of my good friends. He is always looking to serve and help others. I remember many a times when he created jobs for me or my siblings to help us out financially, or offered jobs to friends or acquaintances to help them get back on their feet.

My dad taught me the importance of being honest and giving your best self when helping someone. I was taught how to be a hard worker, and that we help each other as a family. I remember getting up many times early Saturday morning to go help sweep or clean one of my dad's homes he was building. After, we were able to celebrate our accomplishment with a Big Gulp, or even splurge on a moon pie, doughnuts, or hot dog/ hamburger at AM/PM. I also remember many a Saturday nights/ Sunday mornings assisting my dad with delivering newspapers. Those were the biggest papers of the week, and they needed to be done quickly, so we would help out as much as possible. Despite being tired, car sick, cold and really dirty, I have many fond memories through those experiences. I heard some great stories, songs and was able to develop a love of the "oldies" music, and get to know my dad better. My dad was the courageous, and fortunate one to teach me how to drive. I was informed that if I would get up and help out with the newspapers Saturday night/ Sunday morning, I could learn to drive. I think that everyone needs to learn how to drive that way. I was able to get a lot of freeway driving experience, and learned how to maneuver around trailer parks and neighborhoods fast (yet still being cautious). He also gave me the privilege
of teaching me how to deal with a car in any type of situation on the road, whether it be that you run out of gas, your breaks stop working, car over heats, tire goes flat, or the transmission just doesn't want to work, and will die every time you make a left turn, or even slow down. I don't think many girl's my age could deal with those situations if they occurred. My dad was such a hard worker and would do anything for our family. I remember many a times when despite him being in pain, or not feeling the best still working 2 jobs to be able to make sure the family had their needs met.

My dad taught me the importance of following rules, and directions, but that it is still good to think "outside the box." I would watch him look at problems that arose with building homes and how he was able to "create" a new way to repair or solve the problem that may not have been looked at before. I still remember a time I was given the opportunity to help build a garage with my brother and dad. Something had happened, where we had measured everything correctly, but we couldn't get some sheet rock or something into the garage to put up. My dad thought about it for a minute and then came up with a way to get it in that I had never thought about before. I also remember a time that my car battery cables kept slipping off, resulting with the car stopping. My dad was able to figure out a way to solve the problem without us having to buy any new parts. Nothing was too difficult for my dad it always seemed like.

I am grateful that he taught me how a dad can do a lot in the home. I feel that he contributed a lot to my love of cooking. I loved being in the kitchen and helping my dad with his latest concoction. I seem to always remember him cooking something on the weekends. He would make the BEST breakfasts for us. They may not have been the most nutritious, but they tasted SOOOO good. He was known for his bread, and cinnamon rolls he made. I remember him also always bringing home a new type of fruit or food that I had never had or even heard before, and encouraging us to try new things. Dinnertimes were a lot of fun as we were able to hear stories of the crazy things my dad did while growing up or the adventures he encountered while on his mission in the Philippines.

Some of my precious memories are things that I have been able to do with my dad. I remember one time my younger siblings and I woke up early one Saturday morning (of course that really wasn't unusual) and my dad took us on a bike ride to Jack in the Box for breakfast. I also remember a time that my dad flew us to Disneyland for a day. I remember always thinking how cool my dad was because he would go on the fast, and scary rides with us. I also remember many summer vacations where my dad would pack us kids up to go to Southern Utah for the weekend. We would visit with my grandparent's and go up to their ranch where we were able to camp, fish, shoot cans, hike, cook, and ride motorcycles. I also remember many times being in the car with just my dad and hearing him sing hymn, or just crazy songs that I am now finding out were actually on the radio at one time. I remember several times being with my dad and him showing me the importance of taking advantage of the time you have. We would explore new places or shops that we would pass on the road. I felt like I was always on an adventure with him. My dad has instilled in me a love of older movies. He introduced me to many great black and white movies. I still love to watch the older movies because of those experiences. He has a great memory to when it comes to movies. I was able to go to the video store with him and he could give me a plot synopsis of many of the older movies. Many of the times he had only seen them once, and it had been several years since the last viewing of it. My dad was always willing to help me out with my homework. I was able to come up with math answers a new and creative way then what my teacher had shown me. I also had some amazing projects thanks to the help of my dad and his many tools. I remember one time building a pyramid out of sugar cubes and my dad helping me sand them down so that it looked really authentic. My dad has taught me that there is always a way to achieve your dreams. I think that it is through my dad that I developed my love for animals. He loves animals and animals love him.
I know that my dad loves my mom, and has shown me the importance of actually showing this. It seemed that he was always thinking of her, and would ask me at times if she would like this, or that. It seemed that he would try to bring home flowers for her whenever possible, or help her out through cleaning, cooking, or taking her out on a date.
My dad has always been there to support me. Whether it is through dealing with an illness, school troubles, friend problems, or just stuff. He has shown me through his own example how to continue and persevere through life, despite it becoming very challenging and at times even not knowing how to continue on. He has never given up when at many a times it would have been so much easier. He has shown me how to truly love the Lord, have and exercise faith in him, the importance and power of the scriptures, and prayer. He would teach me continually through the scriptures and modern day prophets. He showed me through his life how they can be a strength and support to us. I remember a time when our dog was really sick, and watching my dad pray for her. I was able to see how through prayers and faith she was able to recover. He has been big strength to me in my life. I am truly blessed and grateful that I have had the honor of having him as my dad. He has helped me become the person I am today. Thanks Dad!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a wonderful tribute to your dad! Yes, you are one of the fortunate ones to have a dad with so many qualities! I know he cares so much for his children, and he wants the best for each of you. I chuckled when I read some of your memories with dad - newspaper route, driving, up at the ranch, (I don't remember when you rode your bikes to Jack in the Box), Oh well... I'm sure there's a lot I don't know, and you'll never tell me (except at my funeral.) Dad certainly had a wonderful father to teach him, also. Grandpa Black was a fun guy to be around, too.

Jen said...

That was a beautiful tribute, Kathryn! Loved looking back in time and reliving many memories... loved the pictures, too.

Sarah said...

Some of those things Kathryn, I thought "We grew up in a different family!" It also made me think of the song "My Dad's the strongest guy, and my Dad's the nicest guy..." Pictures were great!