Sunday, June 1, 2008

Day 61 - May 26, 2008

Memorial Day Celebration

In the past, I don't ever remember really celebrating Memorial Day the way that it was intended. To me, Memorial Day, meant to clean out the garage. But with going with my Grandpa that Saturday to honor those family members who fought in several wars, and then today, I went with my friends to a city celebration of Memorial Day. It really made me think about the many sacrifices people have made for me.

That night, my friend and I made dinner for his sister and her family. I think we called it "Thireenmexise." It was a combination of Thia, Greek, Mexican and Chinese. We cooked lamb steaks, combined it with cooked vegetables that included mushrooms, and added a curry sauce with it. This was all placed on top of rice noodles. Served on the side was chips and salsa. For dessert we had fortune cookies.

3 comments:

Jess said...

Amen Kathryn! I wonder what Mom and Dad did this last holiday?
We didn't spend this Memorial day the way it is intended. We went to Walmart and bought a pizza.

Anonymous said...

Well, much to my demise, we did NOT clean the garage. We're waiting for you to help us. I did RS work most of the day, also had a 2+ hour visiting teaching meeting. We missed you!

Kathryn said...

Just 50 more days and I will be there with my sunscreen, and work gloves. Cleaning out your garage will be the only way to truly celebrate Pioneer Day :-)

I also like your idea of spending Memorial Day Steve and Jess - pizza! I actually had some pizza (not at walmart though) this past weekend. But then later remembered why I don't generally eat pizza. One day though I know it will be possible. Perhaps this is good though to not be able to eat all the saucy and taste so good foods :)