Monday, May 5, 2008

Day 38 - May 3, 2008

Bridal Falls, Dunford, Pizza

Why is it that I tend to not get much sleep when I am visiting others, or others are visiting me. After getting... oh about 3 hours of sleep, my sister and I decided that we should go get some exercise. We ended up going on a small hike up to see Bridal Falls up Provo Canyon. I've been on this hike make times. Actually it's not really hike but a nice walk up a trail. But Jen was in an adventurous mood, so we decided to walk past it as well. I've never been past it before. It's really beautiful at this time of year. In another month it will be even better with all the greenery fully out.
Yeah, here is just another testament that we haven't been able to get much sleep. I've also realized as we took, I don't know how many pictures of us and the fall, that I need longer arms to really be able to do this well.

After we went to have lunch with my Grandma and Uncle Dave and Aunt Becky with their family. It's always fun to meet up with family and just talk.
I was informed as we were taking this picture that I just don't "fit" in it. So I don't know how, but I was elected to be the one to sit in the middle. I felt weird about this, but they were right, we had too many people to make it work. (side note... doesn't my sister, Jen look really cute! I helped her get cute that morning. Just check out the other pictures that will be posted of how good she looks.)
Jen and my fun Aunt Becky

Now my grandma was known as "the bakery lady" for many years. A tradition when I was little living in Utah, was to visit her bakery and be able to get whatever we wanted... donuts, cookies, mmmmmm......
We moved when I was 3, so I vaguely remember this. But my mom and sister remember this well. Her bakery would get "Dunford Donuts." They were talking about how good these donuts were and were wondering if they were still good. We found out that there was a bakery outlet nearby. We went to it after lunch and got a few chocolate donuts (if you get a Dunford donut it needs to be their signature chocolate). Yes, I tried this as well... because "I am on vacation!" Wow, a whole lot of memories that I hadn't thought of came back when I ate the donut. I definetly remember eating this, and was wondering why chocolate donuts were not as good as I had remembered them.
My mom and Jen savoring the chocolate Dunford donuts.
Jen showing how happy she is to have been able to eat a Dunford donut!

After we ventured to other stores, that I have been to, but Jen has not. But this blog is not about Jen's new experiences. You will have to check out her blog. One place we went to though was an Asian market I recently discovered in Salt Lake City. My mom wanted to buy some sweet rice for a dinner I was supposed to make tomorrow for my family. This was a huge place! We found the coolest things. One was packaged duck eggs. I tried to talk Jen into getting this for her food storage. She wasn't as keen with this idea as I thought she would be. Maybe it was because of the picture on the package. It showed the egg being black inside.
My mom and I outside the "Super China Market."

We didn't get home till 10 that night. On the way home we stopped at a grocery store and while there Jen found this Kashi frozen pizza. We were looking at it and saw that it contained only 3 servings, which means that we could each get 2 pieces since I cut it in 6ths. But it also had 14 grams of protein! Plus a lot of other good things. In addition to that, it was only $5!
When we opened it up though, there were not as many vegetable toppings as we had hoped. So we took a bag of my stir fry vegetables and just POURED it on top. We also added some red roasted peppers I had in my fridge. That is really good to add to pizza.
Here is a picture of it after it was baked. This has to have been one of the most FANTASTIC pizza's ever had. But I haven't had pizza in over 2 years as well. But this was really good.

2 comments:

Jen said...

You were busy last night with all this blogging! It was so fun! Thanks for sharing the memories with me... I didn't need sleep... that is what the plane ride home was for!

Sarah said...

I remember when that Dunford Bakery opened when John and I lived there. The grand opening specials were AMAZING. (like a dozen donuts for 50 cents)

Sounds like you guys had a GREAT weekend and vacation.