Sunday, May 11, 2008

Day 44 - May 9, 2008

The Herbs

Do you remember me mentioning that I had planted an herb garden over a month ago? I realized that they were growing really well, and I should start to use them. Does anyone know how to cook with fresh herbs? I just took them off and placed them in some food. They tasted good, but I'm sure there's a better way to cook them.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

You just substitute the herbs in your recipes, but need to add twice as much as dry herbs. Also add them at the very end so you don't cook the flavor out of them!

Kathryn said...

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize I needed to add twice the amount as dried herbs. Do you just add the top part, or can I add the stems as well? A lot of them look like sprouts.

Sarah said...

Depends on the herb. Most herbs you just do the leaves. I also know that for fragrant herbs you can rub them in your hands to start releasing the oils and flavor. (like rosemary)

I love about.com. Here is an article on cooking with fresh herbs. http://gardening.about.com/od/recipesforfreshherbs/a/Cooking_Herbs.htm They had others as well, but this looked the best. Happy Experimenting!