I was always sick as a baby, and didn't double my birth weight when I was one - I weighed only 15 pounds. The sign of "failure to thrive" is a big one. In addition, if you tend to be sick frequently, get colds constantly, or even have ear infections - could be a sign of a food intolerance. What I am noticing is how this has started to become accepted as the "norm" for our society.
It is being discovered that those of European countries are of the highest risk of having a wheat sensitivity. It's so prevalent in Italy, that most everyone is tested by the age of 6. This autoimmune disease also can run in families.
A few interesting signs that I am learning about celiac or wheat sensitivities is that those with it tend to have long eyelashes, have what is called "wasted butt" (or no butt), and a pot belly - or stomach that sticks out - bloated looking.
Signs can be gastrointestinal, nausea, vomiting, headaches, hives and rashes. In addition you can experience asthma, eczema, rhinitis, glue ear, constant "flu like" symptoms, muscle spasms, inability to lose weight, insomnia, seizures, irritability, fussiness, ADHD, learning disabilities, bedwetting, arthritis, and joint pain. In addition, you can experience the reaction immediately, a couple hours later, or even a couple of days later. I have had the experience of seeing reactions 2 days after eating something. I learned that wheat can stay in your body for 30 days after being consumed. There is so much information I have been learning about this topic of food intolerances. This is just the tip of the iceberg regarding symptoms. Studies are finding that it is more prevalent than once thought. 1 in 5 people have a food allergy/ intolerance, and wheat/gluten/dairy are the highest.
I guess I desire to post this information, so that others may become more aware of it as well. Some times things we accept as a part of ourselves that is "normal" is not really normal. We may be able to feel better, and not have to take medication or experience pain or discomfort in our life by merely looking at our diets and taking out a few items that our bodies are not able to handle. If you wonder if you have a sensitivity, you can have a food test (although sometimes they are not accurate), or just take the suspecting food out for 3 weeks and see how you feel.
6 comments:
AMEN! I think it was important for me to know that everyone responds differently. For me reactions will happen fairly quickly, but last for 2 days.
Thanks Kathryn!
I have learned a lot from you and Sarah about food intolerances. I never realized how blessed I am in this regard. Thank you so very much for helping Sarah and supporting her. It has been a huge comfort to me to know that she can turn to you for advice! The biggest surprise is that the food isn't that bad. I actually like Quinoa, at least the way Sarah makes it. :-)
This was a great post. I do have a question. How do you know if it is just wheat or all gluten? I've been wondering that.
Wow, great info. The physical description (eyelashes, pot belly, wasted butt) is totally Eden. I feel so grateful for you and other members of this family that are helping Steven and I help Eden just because you've "been there, done that". Thank you!
Jen- read this article: http://glutenfreemd.com/wheat_allergy.htm
It helped me to understand it a little better.
I'm glad that this post was able to help some of you out. I am amazed at all the information I am learning about at this time. Especially with the physical characteristics. It dawned on me how those are characteristics I have physically. The more that I am getting better, the more those characteristics are changing as well. I have even read that the long eye lashes will not be so long as you get better and go off the allergic foods. Here is a great picture of some of the physical characteristics that were described:
http://www.pigur.co.il/imgceliac/celiac.jpg
What is scary to me, is that some kids who have it, may not show any signs of "physical" discomfort, but through their actions, and personality may exhibit signs. But if they don't go off the items, it will just become worse with the damage it's causing to the intestines, and will snowball to other problems in the future.
Jess - A book that I am reading that you may like is: "Food Allergy Field Guide: A Lifestyle Manual for Families" by Theresa Willingham. She offers some great advice on how to raise a family when your kids have food intolerances.
Post a Comment