Wednesday, May 12, 2010

In the beginning...


... there was dirt, and in the dirt there was a seed, and in that seed was the ability to become something big, beautiful, powerful, and full of life and nourishment. Now all I have to do is sit and wait, and water and talk and sing to my beautiful garden.

I am so excited. I was FINALLY able to put seeds in the ground today, to start the garden I have been talking about for months now. It has taken a lot of work to get it to this place. A couple of Saturdays have been dedicated to clearing off the land, cultivating it, preparing it, buying supplies, and then seeding it. My parent's have an amazing backyard. With LOT'S of potential to become a great farm/garden area. This is becoming a hobby I have been needing to add to my life :) Plus, I won't have to spend so much money on vegetables and fruit now.

I don't really know much about gardening, but I am trying to learn as much as possible. A resource I have really enjoyed is from the book "Extreme Gardening" by Dave Owens. He is also know as "The Garden Guy" in Arizona. He has written a few books where he talks about how to garden successfully (and organically) in Arizona. He has a great website with info as well: www.gardenguy.com. I am hoping with his help, and my dad's and everyone else I ask odd questions to, that this garden will be very fruitful, and vegetablful.

I may have started off bigger than I can handle, but when I spend as much money as I do on food, I would like to find ways to cut it down and become more self-sufficient. So I decided to just plant as much as possible. I planted: watermelon, muskmelon (canteloupe), strawberries, tomatoes, sweet onions, summer squash, cucumbers, beans, spaghetti squash, and sunflowers... oh and we still have my dad's grapes still growing.... I'll let you know how things go. Stay tuned...

(the picture above was taken after the land was made ready on Saturday. Today I finally had time to put the seeds in.

4 comments:

Jen said...

That looks great! I can tell a lot of time was put into that! I can't wait to hear updates... maybe you should get some pet ducks to help with the bugs? Ü

Steven said...

"...and the green grass grew all around and around and the green grass grew all around."

I thought you were going to sing a song when I started reading your post.

Gardens are a great thing. each year you learn more and more about how much space different types of plants need. I always felt bad about thinning the plants out but when they get bigger you realize they they really do need their space.

John said...

I can attest that Kathryn has done a lot of work! It was filled with weeds! I'm very proud of you Kathryn. You will learn a lot about gardening and yourself by having this garden. It is a great hobby, one I wish I could start too. One day ...

I look forward to seeing your great harvest!

Sarah said...

I like the song,

"In my pretty garden, the flowers are naughty..." How many times do I have to tell the primary children it is nodding?!

It does look great Kathryn.