Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Jicama and Spaghetti Squash

As life has become busier lately for me, I have begun to realize that I have a new "drug of choice" in my life.... jicama and spaghetti squash. It's been interesting for me to see, as I have been buying it more frequently, how many people are not aware of these vegetables. I am just stunned. Even as I type this blog entry I am amazed that my spell check does not even recognize the word "jicama." Generally the cashier says "what is that?" (with an unusual tone in thier voice). I tell them, then as they look it up, realize I need to spell it out for them, as it sounds different than the spelling (hikama). So perhaps I need to help in starting a new "drug craze" of jicama and spaghetti squash. Come on... try it... soon everyone will be eating it.

2 comments:

LuvCarrie said...

how do you cook it?

Kathryn said...

With Jicama all you need to do is cut off the outer layer (or peel it) and then I like to eat it raw. Or some people dip it in a ranch type dressing.

Spaghetti squash I cut it down the middle and scoop out the seeds on both sides. Then you can either cook it in the microwave like any other type of squash, or do I what I prefer... cook it in the oven. This method takes a bit longer, but I think it's worth it. You know when it's done when you can stick a knife or fork in it and it's fairly tender. When it's done cooking, I take a spoon and scoop out the squash. The squash will separate a bit and it looks like spaghetti.