Saturday I went and played my harp at a funeral for someone who passed away unexpectedly at work. It was more a Memorial service, and a celebration of their life. The Chaplain at the hospital conducted and gave a thought that I had never thought about before. He talked about the different races people compete in. You have your typical race where you compete by just running (sorry I don't know what it is called... the running race), then you have your hurdle race, where you are expected to run and jump hurdles throughout. The last (and most difficult) is the steeple race where you have many difficult obstacles throughout the run (jumping over hurdles and water). He talked about the difficult life that the deceased had to go through and how they had finally completed their steeple race. He talked about how we all have a steeple race to run, and that we should never give up, but to encourage and help each other along.
It was very humbling to listen to how this one person who had to go through so much, and who may have never thought their life was worth anything, had such an impact with so many people in such a positive way. It made me realize that even on your worst day, no matter where you are, you can still serve others and have the power to influence and help others.
5 comments:
I am looking forward to reading your blogs. I always like to see your "twist" on things. This is great that all my kids have blogs to share.
Our Stake President read someone's obituary last night and asked, "Did she do enough?" She had three children, her husband died after 10 years of marriage. She was a widow for 47 years and died at age 97. I think that we personally don't realize the effect we have on others.
Sarah, I think the obituary of the lady your stake president read about is the lady (Myrtie Fuller) I visit taught. She had the exact same data when she died. And yes, she accomplished so much in her life!
Wow, Kathryn, thank you for sharing that. I, too, am excited to read your blogs! You have a great insight on life and I learn so much from you.
Mom- it was the same person. Our Stake President's wife reads the obituaries everyday and had her husband read that one.
Post a Comment