
You can see the signs of Autumn coming as the weather begins to get cooler, and the leaves changing colors. But one of the biggest signs is that winter squash is beginning to go on sale! I started to notice it more this week. Which was perfect timing as I was craving mashed potatoes, but since I can't eat potatoes, this curbs the craving (plus it has more flavor in my opinion). Due to the inability to eat dairy, cream sauces, sugar or grains and starches, squash has turned into one of my comfort foods as well. It was all I wanted to eat for several days after my surgery last December. My mom was kind enough to make several batches of Butternut Squash soup for me.
I think if I was allowed, I could eat squash for every meal. There are several
Spaghetti squash is another squash that is fun to cook with and eat. It can be used similar to cooking with pasta. It can be steamed in the microwave or oven, then with a spoon as it is scooped out of it's shell it begins to look like pasta. Adding tomato sauce creates a wonderful spaghetti dish as well.
One of my favorites is butternut squash. Although I really don't like to cut it up. It's in an odd shape, and contains a really hard shell. Perhaps if I was to get really good knives, it
may not be as difficult. But I have been able to make fabulous soups and cookies using this squash. I'm posting two of my favorite squash recipes, squash cookies, and butternut squash soup. Enjoy!Squash Cookies
3 cups nut flour
1 cup mashed, cooked, drained pumpkin or fresh or frozen winter squash such as butternut or acorn. So not use canned pumpkin. Summer squash such as zucchini is too watery for this recipe.
1/2-cup butter
1 egg
¾ cup honey
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup raisins (plumped)
Mix dry ingredients and raisins. Set aside
Mix egg, butter, honey and vanilla in blender.
Add pumpkin or squash to egg mixture and blend thoroughly.
Add wet ingredients to the dry mixture.
Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart on lightly greased cookie sheet.
Bake 15 minutes at 375° F. Until lightly browned.
Transfer to wire rack to cool.
Makes about 4 dozen cookies
Notes from experience:
1 cup cooked acorn = apx. 1 med. Acorn
Let dough chill for at least 10 minutes before putting on cookie sheet.
Check after 10 minutes of baking.
I generally will half the amount of butter and honey asked for in the recipe.
Raisins are REALLY good (not the best if excluded from cookie)
BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
Ingredients
2 lbs. butternut squash, about 20 ounces trimmed and seeded
2 cups vegetable broth
1-1/2 cups water
1 stick cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
2 medium onions, sliced
3 large Anjou or Bartlett pears
pepper to taste
Instructions
1. Peel, seed and dice the squash.
2. Put it in a pot with the vegetable broth, water, cinnamon stick, and salt, and simmer until tender, about 40 minutes.
3. Discard the cinnamon stick. Melt the butter and gently cook the onions in it, stirring occasionally until it begins to caramelize.
4. Peel, core and thinly slice the pears and add them to the onions. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
5. Simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Add the pear mixture to the soup and purée everything in a blender in batches.
7. Add some yogurt cheese if desired to make it creamier. - (I have never done this)
8. Heat the soup again just to a simmer, but do not boil.
3 comments:
Mmmmm... You have made me really hungry for squash! That is something I love about this season as well! Do you know where it is on sale right now? Maybe we'll have to go to the store and pick some up. Thankfully, my husband loves squash as well.
I used to hate squash growing up (sorry mom) and would put lots of butter, salt, and pepper on it to hide the flavor - I still ate it, though. Then something changed once I got older and now I crave it! I'm grateful I had it for dinner growing up so I could get used to the flavor. Those mashed squash "potatoes" sound really good right now! Mmmmmmmmm! :0)
Squash always sounds good to me. You have some wonderful recipes posted, thanks for them. Maybe we'll have squash pizza for Thanksgiving. You wanted pizza, right?
Oh, the ideal Thanksgiving feast...butternut squash (mashed like potatoes) and squash pizza. I seriously couldn't have a better feast than that. I guess if you were to add peach or apple cobbler made with almond flour. That would be a the crowning for it all:)
Post a Comment